Monday, October 13, 2008

How Would You Spend A Holiday?

It is a public holiday, if you were to ask a child, "What would you like to do today?" I am sure they will have many interesting suggestions. Let me tell you a true incident that happened. The name of the child has been changed.

A special child, was turned away by many mainstream kindergartens, found a place in the Kindergarten where I used to worked. Darren has speech impediment. He stammered in his speaking. He was with our kindergarten for 3 years. This happened when he was in K2 (K5 for US).

With the upcoming Good Friday holiday ahead, his mother asked him what would he like to do. She suggested a family picnic, an outing together, doing some fun things, etc.

But Darren said, "I I I... w w want to oo oo t t t ell p p peo ple a a a ... " .

He wanted to tell people that Jesus died for them as it was a Good Friday holiday. A boy, who could not speak properly, who struggled to talk, wanted to tell others about what the Lord has done for them. This spoke very loudly to my heart. It shamed and challenged me. Guess what they did that day? They went passing out tracts to people.

When the family was relocating to another country, they had a yard sale. With the money obtained from selling his personal belongings and toys, Darren thought of others. He bought towels for the children living in the mountains of Thailand and story books for children in Philippines.

A small boy with a big heart!

No comments: